Friday, January 9, 2009

Not a creature was stirring.....

Whew!!! That exclamation always seems appropriate the week following the holidays. While ours wasn't as hectic as it could have been, we had our fair share of running around and all together busyness. Despite that, we were also able to spend a relaxing week at home together as a family. In fact, I decided to be intentional about spending more time with the kids. I made time to read them new books, play with new toys, work on "projects" as Xander likes to call them and anything else they asked to do. While I didn't get to do as much of this as I wouldv'e liked, it felt good.

My thoughts regarding the "stuff" I wanted to get done while I was home were turned to the fact that, in a week, my kids would be gone. Without daycare until January 12th for Avery, the in-laws graciously agreed to take them for the week that Jon and I had to return to work. So, I began thinking and realized, I could do many of the tasks this week while the kids were gone...and that's just what I did.

Now turning attention to the title of this blog, while the extra time at home proved to be a great time, the time at home this week proved to be extra quiet. It's always quiet with the kids gone but after being with them all day every day for nearly 2 weeks there was something extraordinarily quiet about them being gone this week. Though we've accomplished a lot, things just don't seem the same without the stomping....err pitter patter of little feet running through the kitchen as I make dinner or those calls from the bedroom (albeit frustrating) for an extra hug or kiss or just to "hold you" as Avery often asks.

As I sit in the quiet living room after dinner, reading the newest of the novels I recieved for Christmas, I realize how quiet the house really is. Despite the fact that there are two of us home, there is no noise. No giggles from the bedroom, no hollers from the bathroom, no requests for a snack or a drink of milk, just silence, and I quickly begin to realize how much I miss the chaos that is our life.

The kids are coming home tomorrow and while I'll probalby quickly become frustrated with the level of noise, there is a peace knowing that even when the house is quiet there are two little precious souls sleeping soundly in their beds right down the hall.

3 comments:

TWH said...

So true. Also, I'll add that you and Jon are wonderful parents. It shows in a lot of ways.

Anonymous said...

So glad you enjoyed both the weeks with the kids and without. We surely enjoyed having them here at our house
MKHughes

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this, Sweetie. I'm sure you DID miss them. It's nice to have time to yourself ... and also to remind you JUST how precious those little ones REALLY are ... although I KNOW you KNOW THAT! :O) I'm SO PROUD of YOU! :O)