Sunday, February 11, 2007

Gilded toilet

So far in our adventures in parenthood we have been fairly lucky. No real "messes" as far as toddler creativity goes. That is until Friday night.

Jon and I had some friends over for dinner and an impromptu "play date". They have a little girl, Grace, who was three in January that Xander enjoys playing with. The two of them were playing well together and were moving between the living room and Xander's room. We (being all of the adults) started to play a game in the living room. The kids disappeared and we assumed they were in Xander's room playing. I hadn't really noticed how quiet they were being (a rare occassion for our little guy) until I heard the toilet lid slam down. I thought "this can't be good". Now, I do have to give them the benefit of the doubt, Grace is potty trained and can go to the bathroom by herself. I assumed that might be what they were doing, I was wrong!

I checked the bathroom and there was no one there, I thought it was strange, then I thought I'd better check the master bathroom. Our bedroom light had been off and Xander rarely ventures in there if the lights aren't on. Sure enough there were the two of them, in the master bathroom, covered from head to toe in some type of metallic gold substance! Xander was proudly "painting" the toilet with it. I looked around the room only to realize, they had gotten into a few scrapbooking supplies that had been in our bedroom closet. They removed the gold metallic ink pad from it's base and smeared gold fingerprints ALL OVER the room. The dresser was covered, the walls were covered, the television screen was covered, the light switch plates were covered - all making a neat path into the bathroom.

That wouldn't have been SO awfully if Xander hadn't taken it upon himself to "baptize" the pad in the toilet, at that point it was dripping wet making a wonderful paintbrush. When I arrived they had closed the toilet and were "painting" the tank and toilet seat. the dad's came in and took the kids out to clean them up and I started scrubbing. Amazingly enough it wiped right off of the dresser and walls. I cleaned up the toilet and thought I should check under the seat. When I lifted the lid, all of the water in the toilet had turned to gold, it literally looked like liquid gold and it was ALL OVER the bowl. I scrubbed and scrubbed and eventually got most of it off.

OH, what an experience. Come to find out it wasn't Xander that was the curious one but Grace and Xander and come and found her amid the art supplies and the two of them continued their "project" in the bathroom. Oh, what a night, I think I felt the worst about Grace's pants. They were covered in gold ink. I just hope it washes out!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Children are so wonderfully creative. They see and do things that we as adults would never dream they would do. I had to laugh at your gilded tale because when the boys were young, we were were very close to Christina Hurley's family. We played cards or something together almost every week.

One weekend we had been to the paint store to buy paint that we were planning to use the next day. For whatever crazy reason we just put the unopened paint cans in the family room behind the Lazyboy. We never dreamed any harm could come from this. (I guess were weren't too bright as parents.) Christina (the kids must have been about 3 or 4) and Adam somehow got those paint cans out and were playing with them when the lid came off. What a mess, off-white paint all over the carpet in the parsonage. Russ and Paula were appalled, because they were very fussy parents anyway. Actually, who wouldn't be in this situation. Russ was on the board of Deacons, too. The upshot of the whole episode was that we got new carpet for the family room. . .no questions asked. I hated the carpet in that room anyway.

TWH said...

Lyndsay, Your funny story adds new meaning to the expression, "pot of gold."

Lyndsay said...

I'm sure this little incident won't be the last. I guess we just need to be more careful and to think more like kids!

Upon asking Xander what he was doing and why he did it - he said "I was just borrowing it!!" We couldn't do anything but laugh.

Tyler said...

hmm, grace started it and xander joined in? Sounds like a similar to a tale involving some forbidden fruit and a snake...

At least it was only paint they got into. Sometime ask Jon Spencer what his baby got into (and was chewing on) the other day.

oh btw, did you take any pictures?

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm ... is this where the Grandparents say: "Everything my little grandson touches turns to gold?" lol

He's such a cutie ... hard to get mad at, huh?

Just wonder what the next venture will be!!! Keep us posted, thanks, Hon! Luv ya, Mom

Jonathan H said...

Haha, funny comment Shirley.